Sunday, August 26, 2012

Oh Shit We Forgot Dessert!

So tonight my parents were having some friends over. As usual I adopted all of the cooking responsibilities. Usually I prefer to be a part of the grocery store adventure but today I opted to sleep in - something I rarely get to do. Since I didn't get to go to the store and review the list 10 times before we left I didn't get to confirm we had everything we needed even though I was cooking.

Company was expected by 4 PM. At 3:30 I had everything prepped and ready to go in the oven at the right time. I've gotten really good at timing things for dinner parties. I had roasted veggies - asparagus & sweet potatoes - and I was all set to saute some mushrooms for the steaks. We even had some shrimp cocktail and veggies for appetizers but then after reviewing everything we had I asked my mom what she bought for dessert. It was then that we came to the same realization and in unison said "Oh shit, we forgot dessert!"

Since everyone was arriving in about a half an hour the pressure was on. What the hell did we have in my house to make dessert? I checked the "baking" cabinet - conveniently Barb thought the other day was a good time to clean that cabinet out - apparently EVERY box of cake mix I had bought in the last two months was expired. So I starting rooting through the fridge and looked at the fruit we had.

Apples were my best bet. And the only thing close enough to a crust or cake we had was a pillsbury pizza dough. I didn't want to risk making some sort of roll or turnover so I went with what the crust was intended for... I was going to make an apple pie pizza.


  • Peal & Slice 4 Apples
  • Spread the Pillsbury Pizza Dough on a baking sheet
  • Place the apples in a mixing bowl and add the following
    • 3 Tablespoons Flour 
    • 2/3 Cup Sugar
    • Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • Spread the apple mixture on top of the pizza dough
  • Next combine the following:
    • 1/2 Cup Flour
    • 1/3 Brown Sugar
    • 1/3 Oats
    • 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
    • 1/4 Softened Butter
  • Spread the crumble over the top of the apples

Bake at 350 Degrees for 30 minutes. It was done before we put the steaks on so it was cooled and settled by the time we cut into it. The only other thing we were missing was some vanilla ice cream! There are so many options I'd like to try to with this. I did some research on dessert pizzas afterwards and saw something about a s'mores pizza - sounds like a delicious option next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment