I narrowed it down to a few things that I knew I could complete in a day or two. I decided on coasters. Not only was it appealing because I could be done quickly but also I hoped it would be inexpensive.
- Ceramic Tiles
- I bought small square tiles from Home Depot for 16 cents each!
- Scrapbook paper
- I was making a total of 12 coasters so I bought 6 sheets of scrapbook paper. You can get 4 tiles out of each sheet but JUST incase you make a mistake you'll want the extra. Depending which pattern you buy the paper ranged from 59 cents - $1.99.
- I chose a flat paper without any sparkles or raised pattern because I wasn't sure how it would turn out with the modge podge over it
- Foam Brush
- X-acto knife
- I found mine in the scrapbooking aisle at the craft store
- Modge Podge
- Acrylic clear spray paint
- I bought Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear - You can get this either at Home Depot when you're buying the tiles or if you're like me and are so amped to find the perfect tiles at Home Depot that you pay, walk out, and drive away before remembering that you needed this ... you can just get it at the craft store.
- Wine - no friday night of crafting is complete without wine.
- You can see my choice for the night to the right >>>>
You'll want to start by cutting out the paper for the top of the tiles. Just line up the tile on the paper and cut around the edges with the x-acto knife.
Then take the modge podge with your foam brush and cover the top of the tile completely - make sure you get all the way to the edges because you don't want the paper to lift at all. Then set the paper on top of the modge podged tile. Make sure the paper lays flat and there aren't and wrinkles or bubbles. Brush on more modge podge on top of the paper. Also brush around the edges to make sure it is sealed onto the tile.
Repeat the process with each of the tiles and various papers you have chosen. I did four with the Matte finish podge and 8 with the gloss. Only when comparing them side by side can you actually tell the difference in the finishes.
Because the edges of the tiles looked unfinished I decided to choose an acrylic paint to pull one of the colors out of the paper. I painted the edges and the bottoms.